Tuesday, July 12, 2011

What's in a Name?



It might sound a little odd, but ever since my Junior year of high school I knew the name I wanted to name one of my children -- boy or girl.  I had NEVER met anyone with that name, and it namely came to be from this man:


and this book:


Both of these changed my life and were the reason I was going to name one of my children Harper.

I loved the name -- and I still do -- but slowly, over this last year everyone from Posh Spice to Facebook friends I haven't spoken to before they "friended" me on Facebook has named their daughter "Harper."  It's lost it's appeal to me.  The magic is gone.  I don't the own the name, and never have, but in a way a dream I had is gone forever.  Does it mean the same to them as it does to me?  Does it matter?

As I'm nearing on my 10-year high school reunion, this situation has oddly giving me time to reflect on who I was, who I am, and who I am becoming.  Am I the same girl I was when I "picked" Harper?  Definitely not.  So as you grow and change, shouldn't the things you bring along with you grow and change too?  Some people are married to their high school sweethearts, still best friends with all of their best friends from high school, and still live in the same zip code as their high school (This one would surprise you -- trust me, I've been collecting addresses from over 500 classmates.  It's a lot.).  But that's just not me.  So why would this be any different?

I can see now that is the time for Mr. Nation and I to pick new reasons and people to name our future children after.  Because "what's in a name?"  A lot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment