Thursday, July 14, 2011

"The Help"



Last night myself and 1/2 of my blog followers (probably more like 75% if you consider that 2 of them follow me twice...) went to see a premiere of "The Help" at THE movie theatre to go to when I was in high school.  Now that I pay for my own entertainment, Mr. Nation and I go to the "ghetto" theatre in town.  Same movies, 1/2 the price, and at least 3-4 police cars when you come outside.  I digress...

"The Help" was great!  I had started to read the book a while back, but have I mentioned I'm in school?  I have a guilty feeling now if I read much more than a People magazine for pleasure.  Well, I'm definitely going to check the book out during my August break -- a great beach read, I'm sure!

This was one of those movies that really sticks with you, not quite like a movie like "Dear Zachary," which I still think about every once in a while, but a really good one.  It made me think about friendship, about family, about compassion, about fairness, and most importantly about treating everyone with equal respect and care.

Now, I did have to fight the "ugly cry" several times, but it was also very funny.  I laughed out loud on several occasions.

So for the other few of you that read my blog, I'd encourage you to go see "The Help" when it comes out in August (and I know some of the ones who saw it last night will go see it then too!).   And now I see why production companies invite groups of women to see the movies for free before they actually come out in theaters...

No comments:

Post a Comment